What the Sub-Committee covered
In 2015, the Privileges and Procedures Committee (PPC) established a Sub-Committee to consider further the question of reform.
The Sub-Committee undertook a wide-ranging consultation process with all States Members during the second half of 2015 and reported to PPC in 2016. The Assembly ultimately came to debate reform proposals in early 2017 which had been lodged by Deputy A.D. Lewis of St. Helier, rather than by PPC, but the Assembly did not approve proposed changes to the make-up of the Assembly and to constituency boundaries.
In the course of its work the Sub-Committee set out to:
- consider if all States Members should be treated equally within the law
- develop proposals to enhance voter equity
- review constituency boundaries
- review the categories, numbers and distribution of elected States Member
- consider the benefits and limitations of various voting systems
The Sub-Committee represented a joint effort between PPC and the Chief Minister’s Department . Its membership included two PPC appointees and two Ministerial appointees:
- Connétable L. Norman of St. Clement (Chairman)
- Senator P.F.C. Ozouf
- Connétable D.W. Mezbourian of St. Lawrence
- Deputy S.Y. Mézec of St. Helier
Terms of Reference
Agendas and minutes